Microsoft 365 Business Security Optimisation
Microsoft 365 is an essential tool for any business - no wonder that over a million companies worldwide use it today!
This comprehensive suite of applications - which includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, and Outlook - plays a vital role in boosting your team’s productivity, streamlining collaboration, and facilitating daily operations. Above everything else, Microsoft 365 can help users across your business access, save, store, share, view, and edit files securely and in real-time.
Nonetheless, if you are only using the standard or basic user license, you may be inadvertently exposing your business to significant security risks. Fortunately, there are some simple strategies you can introduce to boost the security and efficiency of your business. Let’s see what needs to be done in this guide by VDC.cloud.
What You Need To Know About Microsoft 365 Security
If your team uses Excel or Word frequently, the chances are that you have invested in a Microsoft 365 Business Basic user license or a Microsoft Business Standard user license. These options are great to start with, but they are not optimal if you are looking to secure your growing or expanding business from increasingly sophisticated cyber threats.
For example, when using these licenses, you may not have access to a wide range of security features, including:
- The ability to secure personal and company devices
- Advanced security tools (i.e.: Safe Links and Safe Attachments for email, Office, and Teams)
- Upgrades to more secure Windows versions, like Windows 10 or 11 Pro Upgrade
- Sensitivity labels
- Data loss prevention strategies
Luckily, all you need to do to access these features is to upgrade to a Microsoft Business Premium user license. Let’s look at the benefits and functions of this license upgrade below.
Microsoft 365 Advanced Security: Why Optimising Your Microsoft 365 is An Essential Security Step For Your Business
If you are running a business and you’ve never been a victim of cybercrime, it is easy to think that this threat does not affect you.
However, according to official surveys conducted in 2023, nearly 2.4 million instances of cybercrime affect businesses across the UK each year. According to a report by the Singapore Police Force, nearly 33,670 cases of cybercrime were reported in Singapore in 2022, an increase of over 25% compared to 2021. The rest of the world isn’t immune to this threat either: For example, in the US, over $4 billion is lost to cybercrime each year - and these losses are rising alongside the number of incidents!
Besides affecting your productivity, cyber attacks, breaches, and data loss can cause significant financial and reputational damage. This reason alone should be enough to encourage you to upgrade to a Microsoft Business Premium user license.
However, if this isn’t enough, let’s look at the benefits of this security strategy for your business below.
Added Layers of Security
When looking at what the different Microsoft 365 user licenses offer, it is easy to see why you should opt for an upgrade. Some of the essential added layers of security you’ll be able to benefit from include:
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- Conditional Access
- Advanced threat protection for both users and devices
- Advanced anti-spam, anti-malware, and anti-phishing protection
- Safe Links, Safe Attachments, spoof settings, and impersonation settings
- Sensitivity labels to protect sensitive files and meetings
Off-Site Data Backups
According to estimations by ICO.org, just in the months between October and December 2022, over 2265 incidents of data loss and breaches took place. Just in 2022, the US reported over 1800 cases of data compromises, which impacted 422 million individuals. In Singapore, last year, a third of organisations suffered up to $1.348m ($US 1m) in damages related to data breaches.
While these numbers alone create a daunting scenario, it is important to keep in mind that data breaches and compromises are only on the rise.
At the same time, data is becoming an essential asset for all businesses. Because of this, it has never been more important to invest in data protection tools.
Here's what the subscription plan offers:
- Availability of advanced data loss prevention tools for company data
- The option to backup Microsoft 365 data off-site
- Off-site data backup within each customer's business jurisdiction
- Safeguarding critical emails, files, and chat messages on cloud infrastructures for 1-25 years
These tools allow you to keep your files, documents, critical emails, and chat messages safe and recover them in the event of a data breach or loss.
Secure Device Management
Whether you are managing a remote team, you are switching to a hybrid work model, or you provide your office-based employees with company devices, you’ll need to ensure the security of these devices.
Thanks to Microsoft Business Premium licenses, all users in your team can enjoy features such as:
- Outlook and Web/mobile versions of Microsoft 365 Apps
- Protection for all devices, both private and of the company
- Microsoft 365 Apps installed on users' devices
- Present security policies set by an expert administrator
- Training programs for your users, to get up and running in no time
VDC.cloud: The First Step Towards Improved Security
While the benefits of Microsoft Business Premium subscriptions are undeniable, it can be hard to choose the right license for your needs and carry out the correct installation of your systems. That’s where the specialised team at VDC.cloud comes in.
Here’s what you can expect when working with us:
- Microsoft Business Premium user license: US$22.00/£18.10 per user per month
- Microsoft 365 data backup for US$7.50/£6.00 per user per month (plus US$1.00/£0.77 per Gigabyte per month)
- Project implementation fee where applicable
- Data backed up off-site within your users’ respective jurisdiction
- 24/7 support service covering all of your Microsoft 365 security requirements.
At VDC.cloud, we understand that each business is unique - and so are its Microsoft 365 and security requirements. That is why we work to help you find a customised subscription that works for your specific goals. Get in touch with our team by scheduling a video call today or give us a telephone call: +44 207 183 6208 (UK/EMEA) / +65 3159 4014 (Singapore/APAC) / +1 844 957 1082 (US TOLL-FREE).